Mosaic Crochet Chart Creator Template for Excel

  Quick Overview:

📋 This is an informational page about my Mosaic Crochet Chart Creator template for Excel, where I will go over the functions and chart sizes available in this template. There is also a link below where you can download a sample template to be able to test it on your version of Excel, and be assured that it's compatible for your computer before purchasing the full version from my Etsy shop.

Full Tour & How to Use Template: 

While there are many chart creator apps out there, I couldn't find one that created this particular style of crochet - Overlay Mosaic - so I used Excel to make my own designs, and bit by bit was able to automate much of my design process using the magic of Excel's formulas & macros*. I then realized that others might be interested in this type of template for designing their own mosaic charts, so I fine tuned, tested, modified a bit more, and now I think this final version should be a helpful & fun tool for anyone who wants to design their own overlay mosaic charts!

 The charts are color coded for both the A & B rows, and there are buttons that will instantly add all of the X's for you (which indicate a fldc stitch), and warn you when you need to modify your chart to meet the overlay mosaic "rules". Each chart has buttons to add & remove the X's, as well as print the chart straight to your default printer, or save the chart as a PDF document. You can also clear the chart to start a new design. There is a Help section as well that you can refer to.

UPDATE: Version 2.0 now includes a button to generate your row-by-row instructions! 

The template included 8 different chart sizes, including the following:

  • Large Square (51 stitches x 45 rows)
  • Small Square (25 stitches x 21 rows)
  • Horizonal Banner (51 stitches x 21 rows)
  • Vertical Column (25 stitches x 45 rows)
  • Large Vertical Rectangle (39 stitches x 45 rows)
  • Large Horizonal Rectangle (51 stitches x 33 rows)
  • Small Vertical Rectangle (19 stitches x 23 rows)
  • Small Horizontal Rectangle (25 stitches x 17 rows)
This template is also safeguarded so that you can't accidentally delete anything important! (formulas, chart layout, etc) The charts are also re-usable as you can save each design to an individual file by pressing the "Save to PDF" button & generate your row instructions to a txt file to copy/paste into your word processing app of choice, and then hit the Clear chart button to start fresh for the next design. 

Check out a quick tour of Version 2.0! (beta)

💻Technology Requirements:
You will need a computer or other device with Microsoft Excel installed. Please note that this may not work as well with older computers or older versions of Excel. You can download the sample template below to check compatibility before purchasing the full version.


*A note about Macros
A macro is a container for VBA code that runs in the background of most Microsoft Office programs. People can create their own code to automate certain tasks as well, which is what I've done with this template. While some hackers use macros to do harm to unsuspecting computer users by adding their own phishing code or other malware, please know that the macros in my template are strictly to help in chart design. I created some of these macros by simple step-by-step recording, such as the Clear button - that macro contains all the steps to select the chart area, clear it out, and then re-color the A & B rows with their appropriate colors. This would normally take a few minutes to do it manually, but by recording these steps into a macro, it's now as simple as just clicking a button! The template has all the work pre-recorded into macros to help you easily design your charts - 
Macros can be very helpful tools in automating processes, which is how they are being used here. 

Therefore, when opening this template, if you get a pop-up window asking if you want to allow macros or not, please DO allow them to run so that the template has full functionality.  



FREE SAMPLE VERSIONS

<<ZIPPED FOLDER OF ALL SAMPLE TEMPLATES - DOWNLOAD>>
  this contains all 3 files but will need to be extracted first

<<NEW 2.0 VERSION - SAMPLE TEMPLATE DOWNLOAD (BETA)>> 
  this includes written row instruction button! (works on both pc & mac)

Download the sample templates by clicking the links above, which will save to your computer. Open it in Excel, and when prompted, hit the Enable Editing or Enable Content button in the yellow bar at the top (if it appears), and Allow Macros to run if that popup window appears.

To use the template, simply click on the squares in the chart to create a design, test out the buttons to the right, and verify that this template is compatible with your computer. 

If for some reason you can't get it to work, it could be due to some operating systems stripping out the code when downloading. Please contact me at cbird2k@yahoo.com so I can send you a zipped file containing all 3 sample files, which seems to bypass this issue. 

Please do not share copies of the sample template, but instead I'd really appreciate it if you refer anyone interested to this page. However, the designs you create can be shared by saving to a PDF & then sharing the PDF file. 😁


The FULL VERSION is available in my Etsy shop!



Comments

Mitchelzlz said…
Hi, I tried to watch your vid and got sound but no picture.


Thanks Zoe
Angela said…
THIS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME - YOU ARE AN 'EXCEL'LENT CROCHET GENIOUS :) THANK YOU :) :) :)
sunstitcher said…
This is amazing! Thank you! The sample worked great on my Excel. I also tried it in Google Sheets just to see if it would work, and it doesn't keep all the macros functions.
Unknown said…
I just downloaded it - looking forward to testing it for you! Thank you so much for this!
Unknown said…
Would you be able to add a small example one, showing the dark/light with visible stitches for the design and how it comes out? I am trying to make a design but it seems like when I want there to be a hidden stitch, it tells me I need to swap the color but then the design wouldn't be correcT?
Ora Steyn said…
Good job!! Well thought out!
CBird-Designs said…
Thanks everyone for the great feedback! I am reworking the colors to hopefully be a little easier to see the design verses the background. I do need to work within the VBA color-set but hopefully this will be an improvement!!

And thanks for the feedback of trying it in Google Sheets. I had suspected that it would not be able to read the VBA code, so it's good to get some confirmation on that.

I will also add a picture of what the X's look like on a design so you can see what it SHOULD look like if the mosaic "rules" are met. :)
thinkoutreach7 said…
I downloaded the template for the mosaic pattern generator. Read the directions and it's working perfectly. Thanks for the awesome job you've done. If it helps any I'm using Windows 365 on an iMac.
Unknown said…
Hi,

I'm very interesting for buying your mosaic software for excell.
I tried to download your template but it doesn't work.
And I had so much trouble to get out of that page of sample.
So I'm confused. I'm welling to buy it but If it doesn't work I want to be sure that you will refund it.
Thank you for your answer.

Michelyne
mlemay@flashsolutions.ca
CBird-Designs said…
@Michelyne, thanks for your comment. The reason I provide this sample template is so that potential buyers can test it out on their computer first, before buying the full version. Most sellers, including myself, don't refund a digital file purchase as there is no way to get the file back once the buyer downloads it. I hope no one buys the template from me without testing it on their computer first, to be sure their version of excel is compatible with the template. I don't know what type of computer you have or what version of excel you have, but you might look for any pending updates your computer has waiting, as that's helpful for a lot of other issues as well. I will also email you so we can talk in more detail. :)
Unknown said…
How New does your version of EXCEL have to be? I dont want to do the whole yearly subscription thing, but without having it i cant try this. I dont want to buy the excel if for some reason it doesnt work or isnt new enough. Sorry if thats confusing. What year or years should my excel be?
CBird-Designs said…
To answer the previous question, How new does your version of Excel have to be, if you buy the current version like you are describing with the annual subscription, that will work - I also have Office 365 and that's the version I used to design this Template. My guess is that any version from now over the past 5 years or so will be fine. :)
Unknown said…
I'd love to try this, but we don't have Office. Is there a version compatible with Google Sheets?
Choppi.no said…
I need to thank you for this wonderful read!! I certainly loved every bit of it.
crochet cat collar
Margaret said…
Any chance this will come out with Google Sheets compatibility? I love it but I don't have Office. Thanks!
Mary said…
will this work with NUMBERS on a Mac?

Popular posts from this blog

How to organize your Yarn & create a Yarn Inventory spreadsheet

FAQ's & Help Page for my Mosaic Chart Creator template